What a week it has been. My grandma went in for open heart surgery on Monday morning. The surgery itself went fine (she had a valve replacement-I believe it is the same thing Barbara Bush had done this week as well) but she had some bleeding issues. Then while in ICU recovery she starting having seizures. My sister and I were in visiting her when they started. It was pretty scary! They were able to get her some meds to control them, but still don't know why they happened. They think it was a combination of the anesthesia, age and the trauma her body was under from the surgery. She was in the ICU a little longer than they expected due to the seizures but finally got moved to a level two room late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning and finally got the breathing tube removed. I went to see her again yesterday and she is looking MUCH better! They had her up and walking around a bit yesterday as well. We are hopeful she moves to the third level room either today or over the weekend. Still no mention of when she might go home, but honestly I think staying in the hospital is the best thing for her right now. The doctors and staff have been excellent at the new Heart Hospital at the Baptist Downtown campus. She is definitely in good hands.
Oh and then Pops is there too making sure she does her breathing treatments every hour. He said he was paying her back for always bossing him around since he is usually the patient in the bed....I guess that is what being married for 60+ years will get ya.
1 comment:
I am so sorry she had a seizure, but I am glad she is doing better. I hope she is able to come home soon! Keep us posted :)
Melanie
Post a Comment