Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First Trip to the Dentist

Last Friday Kendall went to the dentist for the first time. I had ABSOLUTELY no expectations on how she was going to do. It is touch and go daily when we try to brush her teeth. Some days she is all excited about it and others, well those days we just don't brush them. I've tried everything. She has three different types of toothbrushes and tried two different types of toothpaste and nothing seems to have done the trick yet. So needless to say, I was so not looking forward to this appointment. To top it off, Terry is out of town so I didn't even have any moral support on this one.

After a thorough search we selected a very kid friendly dentist office. For the last four weeks we have read "Dora says Ahhhh" every night before bed. If Dora can do it Kendall can too, right? At least that was what I was shooting for.
I was pumping up the dentist visit all week long making is sound like it was going to be SO MUCH FUN. In hindsight, I think I was really just trying to convince myself.

D day finally arrived. We got to the dentist office and she walked right in and took a seat up front to watch The Little Mermaid that was showing on the big tv. So far so good I'm thinking. In a fairly timely manner they call us to the back, again I'm thinking okay this is going good so far (need to insert here that Kendall is a little impatient and does not like to wait). We then go a back waiting room. Ugh, now I'm starting to get a little anxious with the waiting. There are some windows so you can see all the other patients getting their teeth cleaned. There are like 6 stations or so in this one big room and each chair has its own tv in the ceiling. I picked Kendall up so that she could see the other kids getting their teeth cleaned and commenting on what big kids they are and look how good they are doing. She seemed interest for all of about 2 seconds. Now she is starting to bounce off the walls a bit while waiting. Finally they call us and take us to a little room off the side-I guess it was just in case she had a breakdown it wasn't in front of all the others. Kendall does great, sits in my lap and lays back and checks out some movie in the ceiling. She more or less opened her mouth when asked and the hygienist was able to inspect her teeth and get them brushed. Thankfully they brushed her teeth with a little toothbrush instead of the polish tool...I was a little worried how she would do with the sound. Okay first part down and now we just need to see the dentist.....so we wait...and Wait...and WAIT! Kendall is REALLY impatient at this point and is ready to break out of this little room and get going already. We were at the dentist office so it wasn't like I could bribe her with candy.

After what seemed an eternity the dentist finally comes in and by then it was too late, the window of opportunity had passed us by and Kendall wanted no part. She did not cooperate at all for the exam. The dentist was able to get a good enough look to see that her teeth are coming in great, spacing is good and one of her 2 yr molars is on the way in.

Things are good, continue doing what we are doing and try to limit the thumb sucking (um, okay, yeah I'll get right on that one). Come back in a year. Thank goodness because I don't think I can do this again in 6 months!

Sorry no pics, it was stressful enough that I didn't want to add the pressure of trying to get her to smile for a picture....plus I forgot the camera at work.

No comments: